Using Solar Noon to Create Consistency Across Frames

Justin.Haynes

New time-lapser
I am in the early stages of planning a workflow for shooting a very long term timelapse. I need to do a proof of concept to make sure such a thing will work in the first place so as not to waste time on an unworkable process when I start the actual project.

The actual project would be to do timelapse of some 20-30 spots throughout a greenbelt (an undeveloped park) in Austin, TX after having obtained all the necessary permission. My plan however, is not to leave cameras in place, but to walk to each of these positions each day and take one picture at each station. I may take several at each station per day, but the end game is to weed out pictures each week so that I am previewing frames consistently a few at a time.

In order to test such an idea, I will do a proof of concept at my own home where I have similar terrain and plant life. The concept is to build a simple bracket with 3 right angle sides (a corner) which is fixed in place so that I can align my cellphone against the bracket and take the picture. There will be space in the bracket to be able to use the camera and see the shot as I am taking it.

Using an NOAA website (sorry I do not have the link handy but I may edit this post later to include it), I generated a Solar Noon table for the next two years showing the exact time of solar noon for a particular set of GPS coordinates. This time is variable in my location by 30 minutes across the year. In other words, depending on the day of the year, the sun reaches its zenith (culmination actually) at a slightly different time each day. the sun at this moment is shining at an exact 90 degree angle with respect to the meridian where I would be standing. Since I am in the Northern Hemisphere, this means the shadow would be cast only North/South and never East/West. As the seasons change the shadow will get longer until the Winter Solstice and shorter until the Summer Solstice, but otherwise would not change or jump around at all.

So my question is, have any of you used the technique of shooting one shot per day at solar noon and if so, how has it changed your results?

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page