Timelapse+ vs RamperPro vs waiting for an app?

Jeffw

New time-lapser
Hi I'm Jeff and new to this forum.

I am trying to find a way to successfully do time lapses with the changing light scenario and have been reading up on either the Timelapse+ verses the RamperPro. First, my main objection to the RamperPro is it's cost. $600 for another intervalometer (I've got a few collecting dust - no longer applicable) and I'm always wondering why I need to buy hardware verses an updated app. It seems like this could be right around the corner.

Understanding that's not happening today my other questions in regard to the RamperPro is this exposure ramping xml file it's writing. I guess I don't understand is that changing the actual physical amount of light reaching the sensor with a longer shutter speed or just telling Lightroom to adjust the exposure slider in post? Is either system easier to work with Timelapse+ verses RamperPro? I am also using Dynamic Perception's NMX controller for moving the camera during the time lapse. Are either of these units better when working with the Dynamic Perception gear? (and Canon Cameras)

As for Timelapse+ I have no problem using ND filters during the day, but question if there could be any problems with the external light meter not metering through the filter?

What benefits have you guys found using either system? Are there any insights that you guys can share that would suggest or warn me from either system? Finally how long until Manfrotto's Digital Director, Dynamic Perception, Magic Lantern, and Canon's Utility app all merge into one easy to tether with software app, years, months, never?

thanks,

jeff

yannick_c

Time-lapser
Hi,

personnaly, I've tested two techniques to make holy grail timelapses :
- Magic Lantern ETTR
- qDSLRdashboard

I now use the MagicLantern ETTR. Easy to use when you know what you're doing and very effective in keeping the most highlights (and you just have to choose the setting on start and then just wait until the end of your shot).
qDSLRdashboard works on a tablet connected to your camera (either by cable or by WIFI) and can also change camera settings based on the luminosity of your scene, but you need to watch it sometimes to see if it all goes well.

At the end, just smooth it all with LRTimelapse and the very effective Visual deflicker.

Never tried Timelapse+ or RamperPro so can't talk about it

Yannick

Zoeperkoe

Active time-lapser
Hi Jeff

you can do HG without additional hardware if you're just beginning. Shoot in manual and change exposure and ISO as it darkens. Then use LRT to smooth the changes. Works quite well but you do need to pay attention the whole time.

And LRT is available as freeware (but with limitations until you upgrade).

Aaron Priest

Active time-lapser
I use a Ramper Pro, Promote Control, and DslrDashboard often. I'm on the road this week teaching a workshop so I can't write much of any detail at the moment. DslrDashboard is pretty much the cheapest if you already have a tablet or netbook or something to run it on, but I find it to be very unreliable and prone to crashes. A hardware remote like the Promote Control or Ramper Pro is much more reliable and takes less battery power than a software driven solution, also less weight if hiking. The Ramper Pro has a light sensor to analyse and predict the changing light, and histogram analysis (like DslrDashboard) for when the light is too dark for a light sensor. It creates deflickered .xmp files on the fly for each photo, so no need to deflicker in post later, though I still use LRTimelapse to ramp white balance, noise reduction, and other edits in Lightroom. It is capable of reading and honoring the .xmp data from the Ramper Pro. The Ramper Pro can do either exposure ramping or bulb ramping or a combination of both to get into 20+ stops of exposure ramping without ND filters (though it supports up to 5 of those as well). DslrDashboard also does exposure ramping without the need for bulb ramping to get into 20+ stops. The Promote Control is limited to bulb however, although it also supports ND filters. The Promote Control doesn't have any sort of light sensor or histogram analysis though so you really have to be spot on with your calculations or tweak it in real time as you monitor it. The Ramper Pro is the price of two Promote Controls, but it's also a dual channel controller. It can control two completely independent timelapse sequences of different camera brands, or you can chain them for 3D shooting with identical cameras.

Starting out, I'd recommend trying things manually as Zoeperkoe mentioned, manually changing your ISO and exposure in 1/3 stops every so many frames and letting LRT's holy grail wizard smooth it out for you. Or try DslrDashboard on a smart phone or tablet if you want to automate things.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page