Something weird with my pictures when rendering..

Guilty

Active time-lapser
So, I've finished a new timelapse video..
Everything shot in RAW, exported to LR, Edit, Exported to TIFF, TIFF to Quicktime to make an Timelapse, 4K Sequence in Premiere and let's edit..

Everything looks fine in Premiere, but when I render it it looks like there is much noise and less sharpness..
Made a screenshot of a TIFF and a screenshot of how it shows up on Vimeo..

What am I doing wrong?

Vimeo: http://imgur.com/vMAnht0
TIFF : http://imgur.com/nI6riLT

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
If you are comparing the tiff to the result from vimeo, then it will never be the same quality. Even if you compare the result from your quicktime it will never be the same as the vimeo quality. The tiff gets compressed to become a quicktime and if the settings aren't perfect for vimeo, when you upload there will be another conversion that will introduce more softness and artifacts.

Guilty

Active time-lapser
Ah, alright! Thanks for the information. :)

Is there a way you can limit the compression?

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
You may want to follow as close as possible what they ask from vimeo, to avoid to have them to do a second compression. Check this page: http://vimeo.com/help/compression
If you follow that you can control your video better because the compression is made on your computer instead of their end. If you are not happy about the result on your monitor then you can fix it changing some values but remember that the far away you go from them and the more you risk to have a second compression when you upload.
Hope it helps!

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
I am not doing anything in 4K yet as just a little amount of people in the world has got a monitor or projector that can handle 4k. So i'm staying with HD until this new format goes around a bit more. I don't like to waste time in something that i know it won't be appreciated entirely from the majority of the public.

Guilty

Active time-lapser
You sure got a point over there, I always want to have the best quality that is possible normally, but let's down grade this time. Compression in 4k, or no compression in 1080p. I know my choice! Thanks for helping out, and explaining why also HD is just good enough at the moment :)

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
Glad to help. I'm sure that you can find on google something about 4k on vimeo with a bit of searching if you want to!

Aaron Priest

Active time-lapser
I export my "master" 4K videos as 12-bit 4:4:4 Cineform on a PC. Apple's ProRes is also good, but difficult to do on a PC, very easy on a Mac. From this master video I can create higher compressed h.264 1080p or 720p video files for Vimeo, Youtube, etc. I can also use this master in Premiere Pro for future editing like producing a longer video of several timelapse clips without fear of losing much quality from re-rendering.

Edward

New time-lapser
I think there is something messed up with Premier Pro. Your not the only one complaining of this and I have encountered multiple issues. To a point where I brought my files into FCPX and they rendered into H.264 beautifully without the degradation, pixelation etc I get out of Premier Pro. I even downloaded their media converter and it doesn't help. Here is a video for best render settings you can try
. Again this may or may not help the issues. I have found that exporting into Prores out of PP and uploading the beefy file to youtube and vimeo (getting their nastygrams about file size) has given me the best results. Again taking the same files into FCPX and exporting to H.264..awesome. So its either something Im doing within Premier Pro or there is something wrong on their side, but many people complain of this issue. Its always a good idea to render your initial output into a high quality format suitable for reediting as Aaron suggests. I go from lightroom into Prores via LRTimlapse (extra cost) but you can go into prores out of Aftereffects just as easily.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page