Sleepless in Switzerland

Oliver232

New time-lapser
Hi there

I work on this time lapse since February 2017. We can see the galactic center of the milky way only from February until September in Switzerland. I took every chance I could to catch it... even the weather was bad and the moon still there. All I could do is try and hope that the clouds will leave. Sometimes I was lucky :), sometimes not :(. It' crazy, it took me so many hours for this 3 minutes time lapse:

I made a website with more information about this project, but it is in German language:
https://sleeplessin.ch

I hope you can understand it anyway...

For planing I used Photophills and for editing LRTimelapse.

Regards

Oliver

Nick Hagman

New time-lapser
Hi Oliver, this is some fantastic work! I have some questions for you about your workflow if you don't mind.

I have been shooting milky way timelapses with a 6D and struggle with my foreground having a lot of noise. The foreground in your shots has more detail and less noise than any others I've seen recently, how do you do it?

I see you use the neat video plugin, how much does it help with this? Also do you find the 5D MkIV is significantly better in terms of shadow noise?

Again, great work!

Nick Hagman

New time-lapser
For anyone who comes across this and may have the same question I did regarding Neat Video, I've played around with it and I'm impressed with the results.

What I find is that even when I experiment with excessive amounts of noise reduction in Lightroom there are still variations in the noise frame to frame, and this shows up when the images are put together in a video. You can see the noise "dancing" around, particularly in the shadows of night sky images.

Neat video analyzes several frames at a time and does a great job of eliminating this effect with very little sacrificed in terms of sharpness. I'm still tweaking and figuring things out, but it will definitely be a part of my workflow.

Oliver232

New time-lapser
Hi Oliver, this is some fantastic work! I have some questions for you about your workflow if you don't mind.

I have been shooting milky way timelapses with a 6D and struggle with my foreground having a lot of noise. The foreground in your shots has more detail and less noise than any others I've seen recently, how do you do it?

I see you use the neat video plugin, how much does it help with this? Also do you find the 5D MkIV is significantly better in terms of shadow noise?

Again, great work!

Hi Nick, thanks and sorry for my late reply. I haven't got a notification about your message.

Yes as you said yourself, Neat Video really helps. It can reduce noise better than Lightroom. But it is very slow on 4K rendering. Also I don't go higher than ISO 3600 mostly.

And no, the 5D Mark IV is not better than the 6D in shadow noice. It is about same at ISO 3600. It only gets better on high ISO values you will never use. And another thing, it gets star trails 5 seconds earlier. If you compare same lens, same time and same size of the photo it get's much more star trails. That's why I prefere the old 6D for Astro Photography. And the battery live is much shorter than the old 6D.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page