Plz help with Shootools and Dynamic Perception systems

ithinkiam

New time-lapser
Hi, everyone

As a experienced photographer, I am a newbie to TimeLapse world. Currently, I am shopping around for a portable system and would like to have you share your experiences and opinions.

I have narrowed down to two systems: Shoottools and DP sliders. Two systems share same characters: the shortest section is short enough to put in a carry-on case or backpack; has extension kit to work a longer distance.

I understood both are great systems for TL work, but there are still some I want to find out: payload capacity of jointed rails and noise level.

Firstly, Shootools only states that single rail support s a load over 20 Kg, not mentioning a combined payload. I have sent emails to info@shootools.com, but failed to deliver. Did anyone communicate with them before?

Secondly, are these two system quiet enough for using in a interview video shoot as a second shooter slider? I have found squeaky sound are noticeable from videos from youtube and vimeo. I do appreciate if experts here could educate me about some basic knowledges of motors used on camera sliders. What type of motors are commonly used on sliders: brushed ,brushless or others? How to reduce the noise level of it?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.

Last edited:

Oliver

Active time-lapser
I have the full DP stage one set. I made review here.
Not sure about the max payload but it depends of the length between the support. DP recommends to add some support (tripod, monopod) every 3 feet. I've done 6 feet without support using moderate load (4 kg).

As for the motors, I'm not sure but you can check that http://support.dynamicperception.co...ference-between-DC-motors-and-Stepper-motors-

As Last for interview video, the motors do generate a little bit of noise but I would say that's very manageable especially is you use a dedicated mic (button or directional).

I have zero knowledge with Shoottools but DP is usually very responsive, you can contact them via the website or FB https://www.facebook.com/groups/101061953559186/
Jay Burlage the CEO is on this FB group.

ithinkiam

New time-lapser
I have been communicating with Andrea from ShooTools, and he was very responsive and supportive. Upon my request, he shared very useful information which helped me out.

ithinkiam

New time-lapser
I was interested in ShooTools Slider Modula 2in1, which comes with 40cm and 80cm rails. My plan was to get one extra 40cm rail, so I could travel with 40cm + 40cm rails. With extension plate, I could easily make it as a 80cm slider. I reached out to Andrea@ShooTools for help. We also discussed the possibility of customizing ShooTools motor bracket, because I was thinking to integrate ShooTools slider with DP or Emotimo system. Andrea kindly provided me the data sheet of those parts which I was considering to modify.

Hi, everyone

As a experienced photographer, I am a newbie to TimeLapse world. Currently, I am shopping around for a portable system and would like to have you share your experiences and opinions.

I have narrowed down to two systems: Shoottools and DP sliders. Two systems share same characters: the shortest section is short enough to put in a carry-on case or backpack; has extension kit to work a longer distance.

I understood both are great systems for TL work, but there are still some I want to find out: payload capacity of jointed rails and noise level.

Firstly, Shootools only states that single rail support s a load over 20 Kg, not mentioning a combined payload. I have sent emails to info@shootools.com, but failed to deliver. Did anyone communicate with them before?

Secondly, are these two system quiet enough for using in a interview video shoot as a second shooter slider? I have found squeaky sound are noticeable from videos from youtube and vimeo. I do appreciate if experts here could educate me about some basic knowledges of motors used on camera sliders. What type of motors are commonly used on sliders: brushed ,brushless or others? How to reduce the noise level of it?

Thanks in advance for your time and input.
I have been using the Dynamic Perception Stage One slide for about a month now and I absolutely love it. The joins for the extra length are beautifully made, there is absolutely no noise as the carriage travels across the joins. Super smooth. While there is of course some noise with the motor movement think it is minimal and will be fine for interview work. However I will preface that by stating I only use it for TL. This slider is extremely well made with every attention to detail. If you are having trouble deciding, give Jay a call over at DP, he will gladly and kindly answer all of your questions. This is a great company with really exceptional support.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page