Nikon D5100 and Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 for landscape timelapse?

miha

New time-lapser
Hey everyone!

My name is Miha and for the past time I am facing quite a difficult decision. I own Nikon D5100 with kit lens (18-55) which I use to shoot TL videos, but I think I hit a brink wall. I tried almost everything to improve my TL videos and it seems I need to get a better lens. I was sure I would buy Tokina 11-16mm or Sigma 10-20mm but yersterday I saw this one. It seemed it had everything I was hoping for: low aperature, good build quality, some versatility.
I would use this lens to shoot landscape and cityscape TL and do some walkaround travel photography.

Do you think sigma 18-35mm is the lens to go for?

TY all for your replies :)

marcofama

Time Lapse Network Founder
Staff member
hey Miha,
thanks for your post - please don't forget to set your own avatar, it'd much better ;)

I heard very nice things of the Sigma 10-20mm, although I went for the Canon 10-22mm which had a nicer range and price at that time.
Don't you think that a 18mm as minimum focal length would still be "not that wide"? I also have the Canon 17-40mm and I can tell you, those 7mm are way better for landscapes - although its distortion

How much would that cost to you?

miha

New time-lapser
Thank you for such a quick reply.

Off-topic: I wanted to set my avatar yesterday but was too lazy but here it is now :)

On-topic: Sigma 10-20mm costs about 400euro, tokina 11-16mm about 450euro and sigma 18-35mm about 600euro. Your reply expresses my main concern that 18mm wont be wide enough. But the main advantage of 18-35mm is the f1.8 because I own a kit lens and Tamron 70-300 and none of those lenses are good at low light. Second concern I have is from my experience shooting with kit lens is that f4 on Sigma 10-20mm just isn't enough for low light/cloudy situation. Another point I would like to adress is that I need some versatility with my new lens to use it in as many scenarios as possible.

To sum up the main question is: do that 7 or 8mm make such a difference to forget about the f1.8 aperture and length 18-35mm which would bring better versatility to shoot in other situation where I could not use 10-20mm? What about sigma 10-20mm for nightsky timelapse. Wouldnt be 18-35mm better?

TY for your answers :)

marcofama

Time Lapse Network Founder
Staff member
The 18-35mm is way better for night photography of course cause let's say you want crisper images.. Still you can set it to 2.8 and be happy I believe.

I managed to get great results with f/4 10-22mm at 3200ISO so I imagine you'd be grabbing even better ones.

if you're looking for light and versatility go with the 18-35mm

toxictabasco

Time-lapser
Thank you for such a quick reply.

Off-topic: I wanted to set my avatar yesterday but was too lazy but here it is now :)

On-topic: Sigma 10-20mm costs about 400euro, tokina 11-16mm about 450euro and sigma 18-35mm about 600euro. Your reply expresses my main concern that 18mm wont be wide enough. But the main advantage of 18-35mm is the f1.8 because I own a kit lens and Tamron 70-300 and none of those lenses are good at low light. Second concern I have is from my experience shooting with kit lens is that f4 on Sigma 10-20mm just isn't enough for low light/cloudy situation. Another point I would like to adress is that I need some versatility with my new lens to use it in as many scenarios as possible.

To sum up the main question is: do that 7 or 8mm make such a difference to forget about the f1.8 aperture and length 18-35mm which would bring better versatility to shoot in other situation where I could not use 10-20mm? What about sigma 10-20mm for nightsky timelapse. Wouldnt be 18-35mm better?

TY for your answers :)
Here's my take on that nice Sigma lens, it's a great lens for everything within that focal range. And if you want to shoot straight out Landscape without time lapse it will get you some incredible multi image panorama night shots at 35mm due to the fast f/1.8. But if you want a fast ultra wide angle for time lapse the Tokina 11-16 is a great option. However, if you want the most ultra wide angle, the Sigma 8-16mm f/4 to f/5.6 is the best option. The 8-16 will get you some amazing star-stacked Polaris time lapse shots, but it's a slow lens requiring a layered foreground subject shot at ISO 100 for 2 min. And, both work well in the daylight too.

IMO, the fast lenses are better to grab images where you have very low light. Shooting the galaxy for example will require a fast wide lens for time lapse. 30 second shutter at the lowest ISO possible is ideal. With the D5100 you have decent dynamic range, and getting galaxy shots should be possible. Nevertheless, the Sigma 18-35 is an awesome lens for what it offers, but it may not be the ideal lens for everything.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page