New Workstation to improve the performance of footage production

Hi guys.
I'm configuring a new workstation (upgrade) in order to improve the performance of timelapse footage production. Currently i have one "80 Gb WD Raptor" to OS and one other disc (2 TB) for data, and now i bought 4 Samsung 840 Pro SSD drives (one 512 and three 256 GB). I am thinking of increasing the memory of 8GB to 16GB and use windows 8.1 64 bits (currently 32 bits). Already own a Nvida Gforce GTX 660 that I want to use to take advantage of the Cuda functionality, when rendering. I still own an Intel Core i7 3820 3.60 GHz (4 cores and 8 threads) processor. What do you think of this hardware configuration? It would be better to put more memory, such as 32 Gb? What I want to improve is the speed of rendering.Thank you.

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
It's a really good configuration. If you can manage to go up to 32 Gb it would be great of course but i think that you should be fine!

Videvo

Time-lapser
Go for really fast, high quality ram instead of loads of cheaper ram. People often make this mistake, go for cheaper ram but lots of it and it bottlenecks their system a bit. They never address it because they assume as they have max ram, it can't be the ram. I use Samsung 840 pro's and they are amazing drives, these alone should increase your performance tenfold if you weren't on solid state before. 64 Bit OS is very helpful as it lets you fully utilize your awesome hardware.

Go for really fast, high quality ram instead of loads of cheaper ram. People often make this mistake, go for cheaper ram but lots of it and it bottlenecks their system a bit. They never address it because they assume as they have max ram, it can't be the ram. I use Samsung 840 pro's and they are amazing drives, these alone should increase your performance tenfold if you weren't on solid state before. 64 Bit OS is very helpful as it lets you fully utilize your awesome hardware.
Yes. I have 4 Samsung 840 Pro SSD and it goes faster!!! Amazing drives! Just render some 4K footage and it was very fast!

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page