Need stable tripod for $250-300

NOCTURNAL DESIGNS

New time-lapser
I need a tripod to support my 55" DIY Chronos HD rail, (2) Dynamic Perception Stage-R's, camera/battery/controller, etc.

What is the best deal for a very stable tripod that is relatively lightweight? (The price must include a heavy duty ball head with Arca swiss mount. The ball head can be of a different make than the tripod legs) My price range is $250 - 300.

I would assume that the Mefoto Globetrotter would be shaky due to it's 5 segment legs, despite it's weight capacity of 26.4lbs. Also not sure about the steadiness/strength of its included ballhead.

I currently own a Silk 700DX with a fluid head. It's heavy, but stable. I'm thinking about getting an Induro HDB1 or HDB2 ballhead to replace the fluid head, unless there is a better suggestion for extreme strength for the money.

Appreciate your insight!

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
I use a benro tripod with a manfrotto head. They are not expensive and they are super strong. Never had any issues so far. Check the models in my signature.

Andy

New time-lapser
I use a Feisol Tournament CT-3342 which has no centre column, therefore removing one more component to flex. Not cheap, but very rigid and only 1Kg! Here's a photo: http://uktripper.com/visits/diy-time-lapse-slider-with-panning-action/#p961

The Benro's are probably the best bang for buck in carbon (at least the last time I looked). I have a C1570F with flip locks. Also very rigid and just over 1kg.

For a real bargain head in terms of strength at the expense of 1.5kg weight, look at the Amazon/Ravelli tripod and head deal. I got this for around £40, but they now appear to be bundling a video style tripod with it at just under £56. I only used the head which I think is a rip-off of a better known manufacturer's design. It's supposed to be fluid, but my specimen is hopeless as a video head, but it does have extraordinary grip. Can't imagine you could buy anything stronger for the money.

Here's mine in use: http://uktripper.com/visits/diy-time-lapse-and-video-camera-slider/

Find it on Amazon:

Frank Kinnaman

Donating Member
seconding Andy's comment about the cheap ravel I think I have the same one he refers to "APGL5" - absolutely dirt cheap but really solid and not horrible weight (yeah its the one thats no good for video).
Andy your project is great, I saw the original one a couple months ago and the new one looks great. Fantastic job man!

Guilty

Active time-lapser
@stoutch, how are yours working in lots of wind? I'm planning about buying 2 new tripods, and a few days ago my camera almost kissed the ground because of a shit load of wind, I almost felt down also hahaha...

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
I love my benro and i just used it in iceland where conditions where crazy! I couldn't stand still but the tripod was fine! Spike feets down in the ground and lowered the tripod as down as possible! Worked just fine!

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page