Long Term Wilderness Photography

Justin.Haynes

New time-lapser
Good Evening! I am joining the forum today from Austin, TX USA and I am interested in very long term wilderness timelapse, including undeveloped urban parks.

Specifically, I would like to represent the restorative effect native grasses and other plants can have on stabilizing extremely eroded areas. I believe that only timelapse photography can tell this story, and I have not seen an example of this specific use to date.

Very much looking forward to learning and sharing as I experiment over what will probably be a very long time. My posts will not be frequent, but I hope to have some things to share after I have found techniques which will work for me.

JonasHøholt

Time-lapser
If equipment is your concern, I'd recommend you to take a look at PhotoSentinel. They make some of the best long term timelapse equipment out there.
A DSLR/mirrorless cam shooting RAW is always preferred. Consider investing in a 4G module to let you remotely receive JPEGS and monitor the process from your desktop.
Sounds like a nice project!

Justin.Haynes

New time-lapser
@JonasHøholt , thanks for the advice. I actually will not be using any equipment other than an iPhone, at least for now. This may sound like madness, but there many reasons. Most of the reasons are about cost and the need to test my techniques before committing too much money and time to the project. After an initial proof of concept I may invest in better equipment, but for now I need to see my process working with a short video of, say, 90 days of exposures. Thank you for the support.

Last edited:

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page