Irix 15mm Firefly f/2.4 lens -Vs- Samyang 14mm f/2.8

Anyone use this new brand of lens Irix firefly? It appeared in 2016 for $400 USD.
I understand it has no manual aperture. But is manual focus with a good distance and hyper focal scale.

I'm considering to get the Firefly or the Samyang for galaxy time lapse. Anyone have experience with either lens? Which would you recommend?

Here's what I see as important: Manual aperture.
The Irix has no manual aperture and could be a problem with flickering using the large apertures in timelapse.
But it's 1/2 stop faster. On the other hand the Samyang has been out for a while, and having the manual aperture is a great feature for sunset time lapse.

Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Oliver

Active time-lapser
My two lenses of choice for starlapse are the Samyang 14mm f2.8 and the Sigma Art 24mm f1.4. The Samyang is very hard to beat for the price ($300 on Canon) and I use it wide open most of the time.

I have zero experience with the Irix and I would wait for full independent review. This manufacturer is unknown. 1/2 better stop is good but is it usable wide open ?

There is also the new Venus Optics Laowa 12mm f/2.8 Zero-D which seems sexy on paper but again there is very little info about this new product (user feedbacks, reviews, etc.).

As for the manual aperture and flickering I don't think it will make a big difference for long exposure shots.

Feel free to check my starlapse taken with a 6D and the Samyang 14mm f2.8

Intro shot:

Intro shot:

At 1:58

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for the feedback. Sorry it took me so long. I had plans to use the 14 on a DX for time lapse, but decided to go with a wider Rokinon 10mm f/2.8.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page