Image artifacts when importing 4K images in Premiere: how to fix?

Moti

New time-lapser
Hello guy’s,

I’ll start from my problem and then I’ll give as much information as possible.
My problem is when I import to premiere a video file in 4K resolution that I rendered from LRtimlapse OR import to premiere full resolution jpegs from lightroom (shoot in Canon 5D MK3 in full RAW then export them to Jpegs) without editing them in LRtimlapse I get artificial visual problem (sincerely I have no clue what it called), the problem is that I see Pixelation problem in the preview window in premiere and if I export the Movie let's say in YouTube 4K preset so in the exported movie as well.

I spent yesterday 6 (!!) hours talking with Adobe support with the only conclusion from there part is that if I take a high resolution movie (files from LRtimlapse) or Jpegs (5760 * 3840) this problem is what I get if I downscale the exported movie to 4K YouTube. To get rid of the Pixelation problem I have to raise the bitrate when I export the movie. So we tried 100 bitrate, yes we see less pixilation but there are still there Especially in areas like the sky or clouds, so we tried 200 !! less but still there..
Then he told me to export them on PRO RES, so we took a 1.02 giga, 15 sec long movie and export it to 16 giga (!!!) movie that I can't even play in my 5K Mac. (WTF)
I'm really frustrated, no idea what to do. Does not make sense to me that Primere can’t handle exporting JPEGS or 4K movie to 4K movie to YouTube without any pixelation problem..
In the Preview window in premiere the man told me that when I import the 4K/Jpegs to primere now my settings are:

so he told me to put those settings:

that's it.. and to raise my bitrate when i export the movie's..

Here is my workflow for both import and export the Jpegs sequence and the Lrtimelapse movie..

My workflow for Jpegs sequence:

The result:

My workflow from movie from LRtimelapse:

The result:

I KNOW that something is wrong but I don't know what.. What a frustration...

I'd love to get help/tips, I even Willing to send my original files for those who want.. I don't care.. I need HELP.. PLEASE!!

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Moti

marcofama

Time Lapse Network Founder
Staff member
hey Moti,
interesting topic, and I definitely understand your frustration

I'm sharing this on our socials and hopefully get some responses to help?

Oliver

Active time-lapser
Hey Moti

First do you have any experience doing timelapse ? Have you done other video before that you can compare it to and say this one has a problem ?
As this point, what do you call pixelation or "artificial visual problem" ?

Also, the Youtube 4k preset has a very low bitrate, it's normal to see pixelation with this export setting. I usually export 4k at about 100mbps in H.264 and let youtube do the compression after the upload. It's better to upload a larger file to youtube than doing too much compression before.

Next question, do you have the correct sequence settings ? Perhaps your timeline is not in 4k ? Go to Sequence > Sequence settings and apply these settings for me

Then export with these settings: H264, 3840x2160, 100mbps.
Create a download link with the video and I'll take a look. It's hard to judge from youtube

Attachments

Moti

New time-lapser
Hi Oliver thanks for your reply,

i'll send you the files (the original and the exported one) directly. what is your mail? you can send it to my in a personal message if you want.

thanks again.
Moti

Oliver

Active time-lapser
Hi Moti,

You sent me a PM but I'm going to answer here so it might be useful for someone else

Your message:
"i Love to hear some tips if you have some, I'm new in the timelapse world and for now i'm doing some tests to study my skills in that subject. An example for that is the is the importance of a sensor cleaning.. I come from the world of event photography so 14 /16F Stop is rare for me.

Another little question Gunther from LRtimelapse Responded one movie that i posted (Movie 2 in the folder) that i have to use ND filter always when i'm shooting in daylight.. even if my shutter speed is 1/60-1/50.. the thumb rule he said is a half time of my interval.. it's nice thumb rule but of if my interval is 10 sec? so I have to use an 5 sec shutter speed?? Does not sound serious especially if i don't want Clouds smeared for example. I love to hear your opinion.

Many thanks for your help and patience.
Moti"

My answer:
Ok, I checked the video files you sent me and I haven't noticed anything wrong for that type of video. It's H264, there is some slight compression visible in the clouds but nothing out of the ordinary. You can increase the bitrate in your export setting if needed.

However I'm not sure about your workflow. Why do you pick the RED preset for your sequence settings ? The resolution 4096 x 2304 is not very standard. Usually 4k is 4096 × 2160 (which is Cinema 4K or 4K DCI) or 3840 × 2160 (which is UHD or typical TV and internet 4k). I would recommend to use this 3840 × 2160 resolution for your 4k. See the screen shots from my previous post regarding the sequence settings.

Also, I wouldn't shoot above f/11 because diffraction reduces the image sharpness beyond that on most lenses.

Now regarding interval and shutter speed, having a strong ND really helps to generates some motion blur. For bright day light, something like ND1000 (10stops) works. There is no solid rules regarding the shutter speed in timelapse. If you follow the regular film standard "180 rule" or 180 angle you should expose half the time of your interval. So for 10 sec interval, set the shutter to 5 sec. In reality it doesn't really matter. You can pick from 1 to 9 sec but something in the 2-4 sec will work best. The idea here is to generates motion blur to 'smooth out" the sequence.

Last edited:

Moti

New time-lapser
Hi Oliver and Thanks for yor reply,

* About the rendered video files YEHHH great news!! I really think I had begun to imagine problems. and in more serious way, i'll think that the problem and the solution was or is in the sequence setting.. when I started to change the sequence setting the problem disappeared. now i'll have to learn the sequence settings and how to control it.

* About my workflow - I didn't pick the RED preset, actually I don't know why premiere "give" me that priset.. when I open the sequence settings this is the Existing preset. then i'm changing it. (i'm doing like that for all my timelapse movies that I import to premiere at least since I started notice that my problem was in the sequence ) and the sequence is built from the movie itself (i'm doing "new sequence from clip"), the resolution is from the original movie itself I think.
When you import a movie (that you render from LRtimelapse am I right?) what then do you do in primere? do you make a sequence from clip like me or do you use a priset sequence that you built before? What am i missing or doing wrong in my workflow and what should I do different? by the way, what is you render setting in LRtimelapse?

* About the Aperture - I will take your advice.

*About the ND filter I'll use my LEE Little Stopper in a test shoot and see the difference.

I appreciate a lot your help Without it I would not have advanced!! so thanks again!

Oliver

Active time-lapser
Think about the Sequence setting as a Cake pan or plate. Your cake being your final video, you must select the right Pan for it.
You can't put a 30 inch pizza in a 10 inch plate. Same for your Sequence setting. If you want to export in 4k, the sequence setting must be 4k or higher. Also check the frame rate. You can adjust the sequence settings manually.

Premiere and After Effects have a special icon to adjust the sequence to your setting. Just drag and drop your source file to it and it will create a new project based on the file settings (resolution, frame rate, etc)

Also, I wouldn't use Premiere to create timelapse but After Effects. AE is much better for this task. In terms of work flow, you can directly import JPEG and RAW file in AE. There is a ton of tutorial on youtube about making timelapse with AE.

When using LRT, I usually never render with LRT but generate the files (export in LR) and use AE for the final export. Then I use PR for the final edit with the video files generated by AE
So LRT > LR > AE > PR

Attachments

Moti

New time-lapser
That is what i'm doing.. i'm importing the video file (that I get from LRT) and then right click on it and "new sequence from clip" nevertheless the settings of the sequence is "RED" camera. very strange.. it makes me to enter the settings of the sequence and change them.. The same goes for the resolution of the 4K movie.. maybe I'll build a preset or a sequence and use it all the time (for my 4K movies) what do you think?
About After Effect I don't know how to use it and don't have a license for it so for now i'll stick with PR - thanks for the advice.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page