How much should I charge for my timelapse??

Hi All,

I have recently recieved an email from customer (museum in usa) with a request about permission to use some captures of tulips blooming from my timelapse:

It suppose to be use as a background video/presentation for an exhibition made of all sort of art related to tulips. Exhibition will last for 3 months and and they only need a 1080p resolution.

I was offered 100 USD for 6 captures picked by customer and because I dont have much experience i decided to ask You Guys for opinion about that offer as i have a feeling that my assets have been slightly undervalued. Even if those captures would be bought from a stock website separately it would be more than what i was offered. I must mention that I am not a proffesional nor am running my own buisness. Time lapse is something i love, a hobby and most joyfull way of spending my free time.

Customer is not just a small art gallery but a museum in the center of the city.
Could You let me know Your opinion or refer to reliable source of information? I have already went through some articles online about how to prize your work but it is not a painting , nor a photograph so i guess best option i to ask people who knows the most about which is TLN members ;)

Zoeperkoe

Active time-lapser
Even if those captures would be bought from a stock website separately it would be more than what i was offered.
This answers your question. They are going to you because they are hoping to get it cheaper than from a stock site.

I must mention that I am not a proffesional nor am running my own buisness. Time lapse is something i love, a hobby and most joyfull way of spending my free time.
It doesn't matter whether you're a professional or not; you should always get a decent price for your work. By going for a lower price you're not only undervaluing yourself (because you'll never be able to get a higher price from that client later on) but also your peers, as clients might get the idea that a low price for timelapse work is standard. I had to turn down quite a few offers exactly because of this; clients simply don't know how expensive timelapse is until you explain it to them and ask for a more realistic rate.

If I were you, I would explain the amount of work that goes into making a timelapse and just ask for more, or offer them less clips. Taking cues from stock sites might be a good start for figuring out a good rate, and somewhere on this forum there's an awesome post on calculating the cost of doing timelapse.

If you're not living off it, then a no from them will not hurt you anyway. Don't sell yourself cheap.

BTW, those are good clips! Well done.

marcofama

Time Lapse Network Founder
Staff member
From Facebook:
"calculate how many hours you will spend developing the project, shooting and editing time..."

Thanks for Your honest feedback. I know that situation I described happens to all "timelapsers" at some stage.

- >Zoeperkoe - I guess it is always challenging when it comes to money as there is a very thin line in negotiations that once crossed may result in no transaction at all. As I am not living of it I respect people who are! Thanks again for sharing your opinion :D

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page