Help with Vimeo and Youtube degradation

photoSentinel

New time-lapser
I'm having trouble with some serious loss of quality when uploading to Youtube and Vimeo. I understand that there'll be some loss of quality, but I seem to be getting a ton. This is kind of annoying as the video is meant to be showing off the resolution of the camera!

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Here's the degradation in resolution. Each one is 1080.

Here are the full videos:

Export settings (Premier Pro) were: H.264, 1080p, VBR 2 pass, bitrate 80 Mbps

Matt

Last edited:

Joel Schat

New time-lapser
To be honest it looks pretty good to me. I don't think you are going to get much better than that with the youtube/vimeo compression. Vimeo compresses at 6 mbps and youtube compresses at 5 mbps for 1080p so you can't expect nearly the same quality.
The best option is to state in the description that to see the real quality of this camera download the original file via vimeo. Then just make sure to enable downloading.

photoSentinel

New time-lapser
Vimeo Pro. I exported it at a very high bitrate (80 mbps).

Good to hear you think it looks okay, Joel. Sometimes when you've been looking at the same footage for so long, you can't see the wood for the trees! And good idea on the downloading.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page