Flickering caused by LRTimelapse?

frigidlight

Time-lapser
I've got a weird problem I'm encountering when processing my footage with LRTimelapse...it seems to be adding it's own flickering. When I "preview" the footage on the screen of my DSLR and in the Finder Window/the preview pane of LRTimelapse there is no flicker. Once I process the images and output the video, there is flicker. Anyone encountered this before?

Example:

stoutch

TLN Community Manager
Staff member
I'm having the same exact problem. I'm trying to figure out why it's happening. In my scene i'm using a manual lens samyang and there is no flicker at all in the sequence. I'm using LRT because is a day to night with the holy grail method. When I export there is flickering. I'm trying to understand why!

frigidlight

Time-lapser
Mine is shot with an older Sigma 24-70 with a mechanical aperture ring and focused manually. The sequence looks fantastic when previewed before any processing is done. Very frustrating.

frigidlight

Time-lapser
Here's the unprocessed version. I guess some flickering is present in the original and it's just being exacerbated by the processing? Maybe I'll try running it through LRTimelapse deflickering.

Zoeperkoe

Active time-lapser
Yes, some of the flickering is present in the original. What settings did you use?

It also seems to me that you tweaked the colors a little bit in the processed version. You might want to check your histogram to see if any of the colors got blown out too much; that might cause some additional flickering.

Gunther Wegner

New time-lapser
This is not something LRTimelapse introduces. It's due to heavy processing with Lightroom tools that act non linear (for example clarity, blacks etc.).
Just try editing a little bit less and apply the motion blur plus filter on export, this will smoothen out residual effects.

Last edited:

frigidlight

Time-lapser
This is not something LRTimelapse introduces. It's do to heavy processing with Lightroom tools that act non linear (for example clarity, blacks etc.).
Just try editing a little bit less and apply the motion blur plus filter on export, this will smoothen out residual effects.
Awesome, thanks for responding! Good to know about the non-linear editing tools. Most of the timelapse work I've been doing has been in black and white and I have noticed this issue occurs when I really have to push the files to get the look I want and there is a change in lighting. Your explanation explains that however.

Naveen Marasinghe

New time-lapser
Thanks Gunter, I've been having something similar in Adobe Primier, there is a major flickering that comes off in the final export process, finally when I couldnt sort it out I did the same process as a new project and exported. It worked. Strange.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page