Cheapest effective setup for newbie who just wants to start learning timelapse?

lingyai

New time-lapser
Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie to timelapse. I've spent a few hours going through timelapse "FAQ"-type articles and tutorials and think I know enough at least to start learning by doing.

For my first project I've chosen some indoor flowers which are ready to bloom. I set up a backdrop and steady lighting, worked out the interval based on frame rate, filming duration and final video length, composed the shot, and then tried several timelapse apps on my Android tablet.

I'll spare you the gory details by summarising that the 5 apps that I tried all glitched somehow, and after after a fair bit of time wasted seeking help from the app developers, trying workarounds etc, I have firmly decided that enough is enough, Android is **not** the way I want to go.

(To be honest the majority of Android apps of various kinds I've tried have not been ready for prime-time, but I digress.)

So I would like to buy a camera which is proven to take time lapses reliably.

But as I am on a tight budget, and am just starting out (trying to learn technique, rather than seeking **ULTIMATE QUALITY** from **UTIMATE GEAR**) I really would like an inexpensive solution.

To be honest my 3-year old Lumix point and shoot is plenty good for my normal photography needs (too bad it doesn't handle timelapse), to give you an idea how how "un-aficianado" I am.

Therefore I do not want to spend big bucks on some fancy DLSR, as the only thing I'd use it for would be to learn timelapse techniques. Only if I decide it's the hobby for me will I consider shelling out for expensive gear.

So, can anyone recommend some less expensive, reliable (for time-lapse) setup -- say a digital point and shoot -- which might fit the bill? Or if extra gear like an intervalometer is needed, then such an inexpensive camera which accepts an inexpensive inervalometer?

I'm in the UK if that matters.

Very grateful for any advice!

Madaru

New time-lapser
Any of the Ricoh point and shoot camera have timelapse functions. I like the GX200... shoots RAW, has full manual settings, and there are even teleconverters and external power adapters available. The only limiting factors are the battery and memory card capacties. The GX200 and Gx100 are no longer produced, but you can pick them up second hand on FleaBay really cheap these days. A website exists that tells you all you need to know here

Zoeperkoe

Active time-lapser
Basically, any camera that has full manual control (i.e. you can set exposure, aperture, white balance and ISO) can be used for timelapse. If it doesn't have an internal intervalometer, make sure that it has a port to which you can connect an external one. A cheap external timer probably sets you back around $10. So, if your camera has an M setting and can be connected to an external timer, you're already good to go.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page