Camera Slider size using Syrp: which one to buy?

Steveilad

New time-lapser
Hi all
Im new here and require some help from all you knowledgeable people.
I am looking at buying my first slider to use with a Syrp Genie and not sure which length to get
I have been looking at three sizes 60cm / 80cm and 100cm, i know it will probably come down to personal preference but what i don't want to do is invest in one that is too short and vice versa too long to be strapped to my backpack
Any help / advice would be gratefully appreciated - Thanks

marcofama

Time Lapse Network Founder
Staff member
Hi mate!

I would like to share with you my experience.I had both sizes, the 1 m long and the 1.5 m long.

From what I can tell, the 1.5 is definitely too long and heavy to bring. Besides, will you really need such long camera movements? Maybe.. I did not and used it more for video production which is great.

The 1mt is just perfect for timelapse although I would avoid the 80cm... Too short.

My 2c of course

Simon Plat

New time-lapser
Hi, I am also a Syrp user. I started out with the magic carpet 80 cm. But you loose nearly 15 cm due to the size of the Syrp Genie and the slider. 65 cm is not very long if you like to make diagonal movements as a part of a two axes setup. By the way the magic carpet 80 cm is rather heavy in itself.

So I also bought the 160 cm. Works much better for me, but when traveling in the car I now have to choose between the long magic carpet and my two kids LOL ... the 160 is too long to fit in the back of my car!

Steveilad

New time-lapser
Hi mate!

I would like to share with you my experience.I had both sizes, the 1 m long and the 1.5 m long.

From what I can tell, the 1.5 is definitely too long and heavy to bring. Besides, will you really need such long camera movements? Maybe.. I did not and used it more for video production which is great.

The 1mt is just perfect for timelapse although I would avoid the 80cm... Too short.

My 2c of course
Thanks for the input marcofama i have been leaning towards the 100cm slider

Steveilad

New time-lapser
Hi, I am also a Syrp user. I started out with the magic carpet 80 cm. But you loose nearly 15 cm due to the size of the Syrp Genie and the slider. 65 cm is not very long if you like to make diagonal movements as a part of a two axes setup. By the way the magic carpet 80 cm is rather heavy in itself.

So I also bought the 160 cm. Works much better for me, but when traveling in the car I now have to choose between the long magic carpet and my two kids LOL ... the 160 is too long to fit in the back of my car!
Thanks Simon, leave the kids at home and take your camera gear ( lol ) thanks for the input from the articles i can find and read I'm thinking i need at least 100cm

Tomasz

New time-lapser
I'm not a genie user, but I've got motorized slider. My is 2x75cm, which I can mount together and get 1,5m.

My thoughts about it:
One piece 1,5m slider is freaking too long to take it anywhere ;)
One 75cm slider is enough for me for video work and some time lapses.
I use quite a lot 1,5m version of the slider and I like that length ;)
Big advantage for me is that I can mount my 75cm slider on one tripod, which can be difficult with 1m slider (for example I get info from my friend that he can't mount a Slidekamera 1m slider on one tripod, I don't know how about genie).

Steveilad

New time-lapser
I'm not a genie user, but I've got motorized slider. My is 2x75cm, which I can mount together and get 1,5m.

My thoughts about it:
One piece 1,5m slider is freaking too long to take it anywhere ;)
One 75cm slider is enough for me for video work and some time lapses.
I use quite a lot 1,5m version of the slider and I like that length ;)
Big advantage for me is that I can mount my 75cm slider on one tripod, which can be difficult with 1m slider (for example I get info from my friend that he can't mount a Slidekamera 1m slider on one tripod, I don't know how about genie).
Thanks for the input Tomasz, the 1.5 m slider will be to long for me especially to start with, so i was thinking the 1m / 100cm slider should do.
I like the idea of joining two together to make an extra long one if needed though, i have been looking at a carbon fibre rail system which looking at it i could modify to make longer if needed :)

Oliver

Active time-lapser
Same here. 100 cm is a good length. I rarely go beyond 150 cm since it's a pain to setup (long slider tend to move and bend which affects the final sequence).
I personally bought the dynamic perception Stage one that can be broken into 50 cm pieces which is very convenient for travel.
I just a wrote a review of this system for TLN, it should be up soon.

Last edited:
Length is dynamic! I have three syrp lengths, 2 x long and 1 x short, and can only hope that they will one day create some kind of bracket that will allow the union of multiple sliders. Even the standard long length slider over the course of a night skies lapse gives very little apparent motion speed. Not that I want it all to look rushed or crazy but some discernible motion would be better than that straining to see if there is actually any movement or not...

Other than that I agree with others, it's a pain to hike in anywhere, to walk through a crowded city with them is also a pain, but we only get out of it a reflection of the effort invested.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page