Any feedback on the Samyang/Rokinon 14mm f/2.8?

I'm planning to get a Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 for galaxy timelapse. My concern is using the f/2.8 with long exposure and high ISO. In the past I had a Rokinon 8mm fisheye and that thing was horrible wide open at f/3.5. I had to stop down to f/5.6 to get usable images, in bright sunny conditions. Thus, my concern of the wide open aperture on the 14mm.

Any feedback appreciated.
Thanks.

Oliver

Active time-lapser
It's a great lens for astro. I use it used all the time for starlapse, wide open at f2.8 and I got very good results. As with any lenses in this category the corner sharpness and vignetting is high wide open but totally usable with a bit of post-work. It's hard to beat for the price ($300 for EF mount).

Another alternative would be the Sigma Art 24mm or 20mm f1.4 which is absolutely stunning in term of image quality but in different price range ($800-900)

Last edited:
Yes, thank you all. I've seen the videos. Great lens. I decided on the Rokinon 10mm f/2.8 for time lapse. I had plans to use the 14mm for galaxy panorama photography. But went with the Nikon 20mm f/1.8. It has a nice aspect ratio when panning panoramas, which make composition and aspect ratio cropping easy. And, I get the medium format look with high resolution.

about us

Time Lapse Network is the Worldwide community dedicated to time-lapse photography.

Learn the technique, share your experiences and master it watching the best videos for free!

© 2013-18 Time Lapse Network - Created by Marco Famà

submit your video

Follow every single step in this tutorial and get your video straight to the home-page